Featured Recipe: Budget Bites with sausage, peppers and polenta
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt (can reduce, don’t go below 1/2 tsp)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- black pepper or other seasoning to taste
- 3 sweet Italian turkey sausage links (4 oz each)
- 1 pkg (12oz) frozen peppers and onions, thawed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
Takes , serves 4.
Instructions for polenta
- Put water, cornmeal and salt into microwave safe dish. Cook on high for 6 minutes. Stir well. Cook for additional 4 minutes
- Serve immediately, or If desired, spread onto greased cookie sheet and chill. When solidified, cut into triangles and brown the pieces in a skillet before servings.
Instructions for sausage and sautéed vegetables
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add pepper and onion mix.
- Once onions begin to soften, add sausages cut into medallions.
- Once sausage is cooked through, add tomatoes.
- Cook until all is heated and bubbling.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings, if desired.
- Serve over polenta.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.