Featured Recipe: Butternut Squash Hash with Apples, Sausage and Kale
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 granny smith apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple cider
- 1 pound ground turkey breakfast sausage
- 4-6 leaves of kale, center rib removed and leaves torn into bite size pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
Takes , serves 3-4.
- Add olive oil to a large saute pan and heat to medium-high. Add the yellow onion and butternut squash and saute until vegetables start to get soft, about 8 minutes. Add the chopped apple, apple cider, and salt, and sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Move veggies over to one side of the skillet in order to make room for the sausage. Add the sausage and allow it to brown for a few minutes before chopping it up with a wooden spoon and incorporating it into the veggies. Cover the pan and continue cooking until sausage is done, about 3 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet, add the chopped kale on top of the hash and cover the skillet again, allowing the kale to steam on top for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the lid and stir everything together until well incorporated.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.