Exhausted? Five Ways to Stay Energized During Weight Loss
Are you working hard on your New Year’s resolution to reduce calories and lose weight, but you have noticed an energy drain?!
“Sometimes when a person changes their eating routine in order to lose weight, they decide to skip healthy choices to avoid calories, but a lack of nutrients and a balanced diet during weight loss can have a negative impact,” said Jan Dowell, MS, RD, dietitian at Memorial’s Weight Loss and Wellness Center. “Rapid weight loss can lead to fatigue, muscle weakness, poor immune response and even changes in hair and skin.”
Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center experts offer these suggestions to maintain a healthy, balanced diet while losing weight:
- Talk to your doctor. Consult with your primary care provider before you start any weight loss regimen. They have knowledge about your health status and can help guide you as well as refer you to other services including a dietitian or physical therapist.
- Choose nutrient-rich foods. Consider trying foods like avocados, kale, spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, raspberries, low-fat yogurt, eggs, pumpkin seeds, peas, almonds, beans, salmon, chicken or lean beef.
- Manage portions. Choose a smaller plate to help you reduce portion sizes and follow the Balanced Plate guide for meeting your food group needs.
- Increase activity. Work towards 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week. Take a walk; ride a bike; join an exercise class.
- Stay hydrated. Plenty of water and non-sugary drinks can enhance how nutrients are absorbed and utilized by your body.
“Poor nutrition is possible at all weights and sizes,” reminds Dowell. “Remember to eat a variety of healthy foods to make you feel and look healthy.”
Need help on your weight loss journey?
Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling and weight loss options to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more or follow us on Facebook.
Losing Weight, Step by Step
Featured Recipe: Baked Grouper with Protein Pasta