Featured Recipe: Cedar-Planked Salmon
- 2 lbs cut of salmon
- Cedar plank chips
- About 2 inch piece of Ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut oil. Can substitute a vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2 drops of sesame oil – optional
- 1 tablespoon Mirin – optional. Mirin is similar to rice vinegar and sake
Takes , serves 5.
- Submerge cedar plank chips under water for about an hour. Portion salmon as needed. If you are serving 5, like this recipe, cut salmon into equal pieces. Place pieces skin side up in dish to marinade. Set aside until ready to marinade. While chips are submerged, make marinade in blender or food processor.
- Peel ginger skin – can use back of knife to scrape off skin. Cut into small chunks, place with blender or food processor to puree for marinade.
- Peel 3 cloves of garlic and add into food processor.
- Juice 1 lime into food processor. It’s ok if seeds get into the marinade.
- Add soy sauce, honey and peanut oil into food processor. Add optional sesame oil and mirin to processor. Blend until well mixed. Pour mixture over salmon to marinade. Place marinade salmon mixture in fridge. Marinade for 30 minutes to one hour.
- When your salmon is close to being ready, preheat grill to 400-425. Add cedar planks to lower rack on grill. Allow cedar planks to heat on grill for about 5 minutes before adding salmon. Place salmon on hot cedar planks skin side down. Leave some room between salmon – enough for them not to touch. Cook salmon in about 10 minutes. Serve with roasted potatoes and side salad.
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.