Featured Recipe: Sweet & Spicy Sweet Potato Appetizer
- 2-3 Sweet Potatoes (2 pounds) Look for potatoes that are narrow and evenly shaped. This helps with consistency in baking.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- hot sauce (optional)
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup fresh spinach (chopped) or green onion (chopped)
Takes 4, 2-3 serves .
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash sweet potatoes. Leave skin on as this will provide an edge for the appetizer. Slice potatoes into ¼ inch rounds. Thinner slices result in more of a chip and will require you to reduce the bake time.
- In a large bowl combine oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and sea salt.
- Toss sliced potatoes in oil/seasoning mixture until coated.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Add coated potato rounds to lined pan in a single layer. Overlapping the potatoes results in soggy potatoes.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes on one side. Turn potatoes and cook another 5-10 minutes until potato centers are soft and edges are crispy. Reduce bake time if using thinner potato slices.
- Remove potatoes from oven and add one drop hot sauce to each potato round. Sprinkle potatoes with the shredded cheese. If cheese does not melt return pan to warm oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Place potato rounds on serving dish. Garnish with a dab of sour cream and either green onion or chopped fresh spinach and enjoy!
Need help with healthy eating? Memorial Weight Loss and Wellness Center offers nutrition counseling to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to learn more.