Why You Can’t Bring Your Marijuana to a Memorial Health Hospital
Heading to the hospital for a procedure or to visit a patient? You’ll need to leave your marijuana at home, whether medicinal or recreational.
It’s not about judgment or even trying to mess with your vibe. We just have many – many – rules, regulations and medical considerations to consider. Here are just a few:
- It’s a Federal Thing. Even if marijuana is legal in Illinois for both medicinal and recreational use, it remains illegal at the federal level, since it is classified as a Schedule 1 substance under the Controlled Substances Act according to DEA.gov. As a healthcare provider, Memorial is a highly regulated entity which must comply with a multitude of laws and regulations, including the Controlled Substances Act.
- Storing Your Stash. Speaking of Schedule 1 drugs, hospitals have strict protocols for storing and administering controlled substances. Even if marijuana is legal in the state, managing its storage, distribution and administration within a hospital setting presents legal and logistical issues that must be avoided. If we find your stash, we are required to dispose of it.
- Safety First! Marijuana’s effects may be pleasant for you, but they might not be safe in a hospital setting. Even if a patient is using marijuana for medical reasons, there’s a risk it could interact negatively with other medications or treatments they receive in the hospital. Medical and clinical staff need to be sure they provide the best care possible. That requires preventing drug interactions.
- It’s a Controlled Environment. Everything is monitored in a hospital setting so you can receive the care you need to recover– from the oxygen levels in your room to the exact dosage and time of medications you receive. Introducing an external variable, like marijuana, can throw off a delicate balance. We appreciate that you trust us with your care, and that’s why we ask you to leave your “home remedies” at home.
- The Mystery of Dosages. Marijuana isn’t a one-size-fits-all kind of drug. Different strains have varying effects, and there’s no standardized dosage. You might be able to handle a whole gummy, but your best friend might find herself floating on “cloud nine” after just a nibble. Hospitals aren’t experts on how your green goodies will hit in the moment.
While it might be tempting to smuggle in your favorite herbal remedy to make your hospital stay a little more enjoyable, there are plenty of reasons why we have to say no. Memorial Health hospitals are committed to ensuring a safe, controlled environment for everyone.
If you are headed to the hospital, leave the marijuana at home, and let the hospital staff take care of the rest. Remember, we have your best interests and health at heart, even if it means saying “no” to your special brownies.